Social Made Simple Podcast – Episode 1
Welcome to the first ever episode of the Social Made Simple Podcast!
I’m really excited that you’ve landed on this show. It means that you’re interested in using social media to grow your local business and I’m going to show you how. The goal of this podcast is to help those local businesses who know they need to use social media, but don’t have the knowledge or expertise, or maybe even budget to hire a company or employee to do social media for them.
First, you’ll learn a little bit about me, my background, and why started this show for you. Then we’ll talk about why you need to stop making excuses, and start using social media right now
The big chunk of the episode is all about the “BIG 7” social networks. We cover what they are, who they appeal to, and how you can use them for your local business. Here’s the overview from this episode.
The BIG 7 Social Networks You Need to Be Aware Of
Here’s a few reasons why you need to pay attention to the largest social media platform IN THE WORLD!
- Users: 1.2 BILLION (yes, billion) daily average users
- Demographics: EVERYONE, but 25-34 is the largest segment
- Types of Content: Visual (images and video)
- How You Can Target Your Audience: Within 1 mile around your business all the way to worldwide. Target your content based on interest, demographics, industry, behaviors, you name it.
- Business Application: Get your local customers to know who you are, connect with you, share videos and images, great content, and grow a community of people that will recommend you to others.
The reason why Instagram is listed 2nd on this list, is because it’s owned by Facebook and has grown tremendously over the past year.
- Users: 500 million daily average users
- Demographics: 18-29 is the largest segment
- Types of Content: Beautiful images and videos up to 60 seconds long. Preferably square.
- How You Can Target Your Audience: Because Instagram is owned by the mighty Facebook, you can target your audience the same way you target Facebook ads.
- Business Application: Showcase your best visual side and grow your following, and grow mass attention.
Most people don’t think of YouTube as a social network, but with the ability to share, like and comment on videos, it cannot be ignored.
- Users: 1.5 Billion monthly users
- Demographics: EVERYONE
- Types of Content: Video
- How You Can Target Your Audience: Similar to Google ads, you can target YouTube ads with interest, demographics, and geography.
- Business Application: Show behind the scenes videos, make how to videos related to your industry, and give customers the information the are searching for, visually.
It’s a shame that Twitter isn’t as big as it once was, but can still benefit your business greatly!
- Users: 68 million monthly users
- Demographics: Biggest is 18-29
- Types of Content: Text messages up to 140 characters (Twitter is currently testing out longer forms). Videos and images can also be shared natively in the feed.
- Local Business Application: Twitter search is a huge way to target your audience and join in on the conversation. Search for people talking about your industry, in your area, and simply join the conversation.
Snapchat, although losing momentum after it’s IPO, is still a HUGE opportunity with a younger demo, and is gaining traction every single day.
- Users: 301 million monthly active users
- Demographics: 13-34
- Types of Content: Images and short form vertical video (10 seconds max)
- How You Can Target Your Audience: Users can be targeted geographically, demographically, and interest based.
- Business Application: If you’re local business engages with a younger demographic, Snapchat is probably the most affordable (under-priced) branding tool out there.
If you’re targeting ladies, Pinterest is your mecca!
- Users: 200 million monthly active users.
- Demographics: Women 18-49
- Types of Content: Links to articles and videos about your local business.
- Business Application: If your local business is about food, crafts, how to, or just about anything visual, you can link your local content to Pinterest and showcase the creative side of your business.
The could be Facebook of the B2B world.
- Users: 500 million total users
- Demographics: 30+
- Types of Content: You can post articles, photos, YouTube videos, similar to a Facebook newsfeed.
- Business Application: If you’re looking to reach professionals or work in the business-to-business environment, you can target locally to recruit talent, or showcase your business with a variety of content forms.
This Week’s Actionable Tidbit
It’s all about Facebook. Here’s what you do:
- If You Don’t Have a Facebook Business Page: You’re crazy for not having one and need to create one RIGHT NOW! Here’s the link. Follow Facebook’s steps and you’re in!
- If You Have a Facebook Business Page: Scan through and make sure all of your information is updated and accurate. No-one likes a page with the wrong phone number, hours, website, etc. People WILL look at your Facebook page before they check out your website.
- If You Have a Facebook Business Page and all Your Info is Up to Day: Go check the last time a piece of content was posted. If it was more than 10 days ago, time to post again! Share a picture or a video of the inside of your business and start engaging with your audience.
Okay, that’s about it for Episode 1! Make sure to subscribe to the Social Made Simple Podcast anywhere you consume podcasts. If you have a specific question about your business, you can ask me here, and I’ll do my best to make it a part of the show, or get right back to you.
Thanks so much for listening to the first episode and I hope to see you again!